July 9, 2013

DIY Tank

When I saw this Pin on Pinterest I knew I had to do it, I also knew when my mom saw it she might be frustrated.  My mom is a sewing queen! Seriously, we are talking clothes, quilts, prom dresses, Halloween costumes, Christmas stockings, all sorts of crafty stuff, and even wedding dresses. When something calls for a needle and thread my general rule is to take it to my mom.

My defense in doing this myself?  There is technically...


NO SEWING INVOLVED!!

Why would my mom be frustrated with this project?  Well not only is she a sewing queen, she also happens to be a perfectionist (especially when it comes to her sewing).  This project involves no measuring or pinning, no perfect lines or cuts; it's mostly guesswork.  That's what makes this project perfect for me, I am a fierce guesstimator! 

This week has been hot and humid, so of course it was this weekend that I decide to paint the spare room upstairs. I'm often a mess when it comes to painting, I get it everywhere including my hair, so I know I should wear old clothes but I don't really keep old clothes around, once they've run their course I get rid of them (give away, garage sale, throw away, donate.)  Upon looking in my dresser I was left with some pretty sparse painting clothing options.  I put on an old t-shirt and knew immediately that I would never be comfortable wearing it to paint in the humid weather, then I remembered a pin I had on Pinterest.  Turn an old t-shirt into a new workout tank without any sewing! I quickly pulled it up grabbed the t-shirt and some scissors.


I started this project with the Hawthorne Heights t-shirt I had originally planned on wearing to paint.  However, once I finished I realized that the tank was much to tight to wear.  You have to start with a t-shirt that is too big for you, so I rounded up this Sublime t-shirt I stole from Brad when we first started dating.







Step 1.              Cut off the sleeves and neck line

Step 2.              Cut a deep V in the back of the shirt and cut the front neck line to a desirable depth. (Optional - Trim sleeves to desired width)

Step 3.              Cut the hem, plus about a half inch of fabric, from the bottom of the shirt

Step 4.              Cut the half inch of fabric from the hem of the bottom of the shirt and stretch it



Step 5.              Bring the back of the shirt together and knot one end of the stretched fabric around it.  Then wrap the rest the fabric around the back of the shirt.  Knot the other end and tuck in the excess piece of fabric.


Voila...new tank


As for the painting....well, it's a work in progress but I'll get a lot of use out of this new tank top between the painting, workouts, and other odd dirty jobs around the house.  

Anyone in need of a workout/cleaning/painting/mowing Hawthorne Heights tank that will never fit me again?  Seriously, remember:  Use a T-shirt that is too big for you.


Thanks to Creating Laura for sharing!




No comments:

Post a Comment