February 28, 2014

Dressed Up for Baking

Up until I found Pinterest I wasn't all that interested in crafting.  When I did finally join Pinterest, I started pinning a ton of different craft ideas.  However, it wasn’t until much later that I started this blog and became actually interested in making the stuff I had been pinning.  Once I decided I wanted to start creating stuff, I realized I was not prepared to craft.  I had to limit the crafts  I wanted to make because I didn’t have this or that and I was missing out on making a ton of cute stuff!  

The two major things I was missing was a hot glue gun and a sewing machine.  I decided at Christmas to ask my parents for those two essential items and was so excited when I opened them! 

I knew immediately the first thing I wanted to make.

 

I’d been sitting on this pin for a while and was excited that I could finally make it.  I headed to the basement to rummage through bags of clothes that have still not made their way to Goodwill (in this case our laziness paid off.)  I found a shirt of Brad’s that was perfect for this project. 


Sewing machine - Check
Men's Dress Shirt - Check

It’s time to start making my apron!

Unfortunately to my disappointment, the link I’d found was not for a “do-it-yourself” site, it was for a store to buy the aprons pre-made.  

Now what?

I could (1) give up and say “forget it”, (2) search the internet for a site that show you “how to”, or (3) continue on with my venture without instructions (how hard can it be?)

Option 3 it is!!

While working on the first couple of steps I kept the shirt completely buttoned, I found it was easy to keep the fabric straight.  I started by cutting off both sleeves at the seam.


Next, I cut off the entire back of the shirt, cutting as close to the seams as possible but keeping them attached to the “apron” piece.  Leaving the seams attached saved me from having to hem these portions of the apron.



Once the back was completely removed, I set the fabric aside (keep it for a later step) and unbuttoned the front of the shirt.  I laid both sides on top of one another to help easily create two equal sides.  Starting with the top piece of fabric, I created a hem from the collar to just under where the armhole ended. I folded the excess fabric under and pinned it in place.  Then I turned the shirt over to create a matching hem on the other side.





Next, I cut two 1-1/2 inch pieces from the back shirt piece I had cut off earlier and set aside.  With using a pin stripped shirt I had perfect cutting guidelines the length of the shirt.  I folded each of the two pieces in half and pinned the edges together.


Finally, I got to pull out my brand new sewing machine (isn’t it cute?) to sew down all the edges I has pinned.


After all the edges we sewn, I had to turn those pesky like strips inside out, which was by far the most daunting task of the entire project.  I used a small nail to push one end of the tie through the fabric and out the other side.


Once the strips were right side out, I sewed them to the bottom most point of the hem I’d created earlier.




Finished!!! (Please excuse the dirty mirror...Spring Cleaning anyone?)



Now I have a perfect (and cute!) apron for all my future baking experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment