September 3, 2013

Unofficial End to Summer

Labor Day, the unofficial end of summer, the last time to gather with family and friends, grill, and play outside.  I always welcome the end of summer because that means soon the leaves will be changing to beautiful colors and falling to the ground.  Fall is my favorite season, it brings football, cool weather, sweaters and boots, Halloween, Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, corn mazes, pumpkin carving and cooking; I could go on forever.  Maggie, our dog, loves fall too; she doesn't get as worn out in the cool weather which allows her more time to run and play outside.  One of her favorite things is jumping through the leaves while Brad and I are trying to rake the yard (another thing I love about fall.)  The only things  I don't enjoy about the fall season is the shortening of daylight and the winter that follows.

I digress...my parents invited the family over for a Labor Day cookout as usual.  I  unfortunately don't get to see my family very often so when I do I feel like I'm always surprised at how big my nieces and nephews are getting.  They are no longer little kids, but little people, who can carry on an actual conversation.  We still have some little ones running around, my youngest niece is only 2 and there is another on the way.  The younger ones are so cute to interact with, or just to watch interacting with the other children, but it was my 6 year old niece that made my day.

I'm a little different from the rest of my family.  They consider me the "girly" one.  Even in casual situations, like a family cookout, I put extra effort into my appearance.  So, of course, I was so excited when my niece showed up and started telling me all about the accessories she had worn (her leopard print slap bracelet was adorable), she's a little fashionista even at age 6.  I had my sunglasses on my head so my niece made my sister-in-law dig into their bag and find her sunglasses.  Even though it was something as insignificant as accessories, I felt like I had an actual connection with her.  My niece then ate her food exactly how I did (hotdog no bun with mustard.)  My sister-in-law then informed me that my niece hates mustard and never eats a hotdog without a bun.  I've never really been a "role model" before, is this what it feels like?

Maybe she'll grow out of this "fashionista" phase and start playing sports like her sister, but for now I'm feeling pretty excited that she made such an effort yesterday to "be like me."

My niece (on the right) playing in the pool with her cousin

Me wearing some of my nieces accessories
My youngest niece stole all the toys from the big kid pool and put them in her own pool
We play some mean games of croquet (me, my cousin Chris, and my brothers Andy and Danny)


Okay, let's be honest, this blog was mostly for me. Here is what you want.....



Even though I love fall, summer has it's perks too, and the last couple of weeks have been pretty fall- like.  I'm not quite ready to give up my warm weather.  In the spirit of trying to keep summer around I made these edible sandy beaches to share.


Not only are they adorable and tasty, but there also a low calorie dessert.  Eating healthy isn't always easy during a potluck, so if I can save a few calories here and there I'm going to do it.  This beach party is also incredibly easy to make.


Here is everything you need

  • Vanilla Pudding
  • Blue Gelatin
  • Clear Cups
  • Drink Umbrellas
  • Teddy Grahams


Instructions:

  • Make blue gelatin per instructions on box and evenly distribute into clear cups. Let gelatin set in refrigerator
  • Once gelatin is set, make vanilla pudding per instructions on box.  Add thin layer of vanilla pudding on top of the set blue gelatin.  Return to refrigerator to set the pudding
  • Crush some of the Teddy Grahams (I put mine in a ziplock bag and rolled it with a rolling pin, other have said to put them in a blender).  Sprinkler crushed Teddy Grahams over the set pudding.  You don't have to completely cover the pudding, it's more for texture, but you can if you want. 
  • Add an umbrella and some Teddy Grahams to each cup
These desserts can be custom made to each person.  I've seen white chocolate pudding used instead of vanilla, gummy bears instead of Teddy Grahams, someone even rolled out part of a fruit roll-up as a beach towel.  Use as few or as many bears as you want.  The possibilities are endless :)  I certainly hope you liked these as much as I did!


Last but not least - If you are going to take ridiculous pictures with my camera remember, I write a blog and therefore that picture may be shared with the world...

My sister-in-law Evangeline, my cousin Cheri, and my mom


No comments:

Post a Comment