September 29, 2013

Camel Tracks

A couple of weeks ago Brad and I hosted a "S'more Party" at our house.  Wanting the party to be a success, I bought way too much, putting out a s'more making spread of various graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolates.  We started a bonfire and lit a few sterno cans for marshmallow roasting as well.  I dressed up the sterno cans by placing them in a glass containers surrounded by decorative pebbles.  The sterno was actually perfect for roasting the marshmallows, they got heated from the inside and therefore didn't catch fire and get charred.  Unfortunately for the first few marshmallows we were unaware of this and we lost a few as they melted off the sticks.

I like to think the party was a success.  I really enjoyed seeing my friends, who I don't think I make enough time for.  At the end of the night though, there were a ton of left over s'more ingredients.






  • Honey Graham Crackers
  • Cinnamon Graham Crackers
  • Chocolate Graham Crackers
  • Dark Chocolate Hershey Bars
  • Milk Chocolate Hershey Bars
  • Reese Cups
  • Regular Marshmallows
  • Brownie flavored Marshmallows
  • Neapolitan Ice Cream Flavored Marshmallows
  • Giant Marshmallows
There had even been toasted coconut marshmallows but those didn't make it to the end of the night.  

I needed a way to get rid of all this extra stuff, so I search Pinterest for s'more recipes.  I couldn't believe how many "s'more" recipes use ingredients other than the basic ones needed to make s'mores. I decided a variation of this recipe would be best to help me get rid of the leftovers.  Of course by "variation" I mean that I made a graham cracker crust and then melted chocolate Hershey bars and marshmallows on top.  (In case you are wondering, despite popular belief, crushing graham cracker in a blender DOES NOT WORK.) These s'more bars tasted good and got great reviews from my coworkers but it was difficult to cut apart and the graham cracker crust was too crumbly.  At the end of this experiment I was still left with quite a bit of graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows.

This week I decided I HAD to get rid of this stuff.  Since I had already been disappointed with my Pinterest search results, I decided to take a different approach and went about opening all of the cupboard in the kitchen.  I came across Rice Krispies and thought about making Rice Krispie Treats, I'd still be stuck with all the graham crackers though.  Then it hits me, MAKE GRAHAM CRACKER MARSHMALLOW TREATS!

  • Smash apart graham crackers until you have 6 cups of crumbs.  There should be pieces of graham cracker, NOT crushed finely
  • Heat 10 oz of marshmallows and 3 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. I heated mine for approximately 1 to 1.5 minutes depending on the size of marshmallows I used.
  • Spray a spatula with Pam or some other cooking spray (so the marshmallow doesn't stick to the spatula) and stir the marshmallow into the graham cracker
  • Press mixture into a pan that has been sprayed with Pam or drop spoonfuls of mixture onto wax paper and let harden.
My first thought was to line a pan with pieces of chocolate and press the mixture into the pan.  This was a failure, every time I tried to press down the mixture, the chocolate pieces moved.  The marshmallow mixture did end up sticking to the chocolate but it wasn't in a square bar form.  There were just hunks of mixture with chocolate hanging off the end.  They may not have looked pretty but they were delicious.

My second attempt I used a mixture of the honey graham crackers and the chocolate graham crackers.  I also used the Neapolitan ice cream marshmallows.  These I forwent the pan and dropped spoonfuls of the mixture onto wax paper.  This was much easier than trying to press the mixture into a pan.

I took both of these treats into work on Wednesday and sent out a "Happy Hump Day Treats in the Kitchen" e-mail with this cartoon:


Our Marketing Director said she figured the treats were called "Camel Tracks you know like Moose Tracks only camel because of the cartoon you sent."  Seems fitting enough, I dub thee "CAMEL TRACKS."  Someone else asked me why I brought crack in, because "they're like crack, I can't stop eating them."  I'd say that's a pretty good review.

So two weeks later I've finally managed to get rid of most of my remaining s'more ingredients with a new amazing recipe for future use.  I hope you all had a Happy Hump Day.




No comments:

Post a Comment