May 7, 2013

Chocolate Covered S'mores

"Pinstrosity" - Two brilliant women started a blog dedicated to those, less than successful, Pinterest finds.


Here lies my very first (as I'm sure there will be more) Pinstrosity.


I found this pin on Pinterest simply tagges as "dipped s'mores."  

Looks easy AND delicious, right?

I clicked the link which took me to tipjunkie, and read the post, directions and all.  It seemed really easy and we had chocolate chips, marshmallows and melting chocolate in the house (I've been trying to clear off my baking shelf in the pantry.)  I asked Brad to pick up some graham crackers after work.

Tipjunkie's directions say:  Break your graham crackers in to halves, and line them up on your baking sheet. Top half of your graham crackers with marshmallows and half with chocolate. Put your sheet of s’mores into the oven (in my toaster oven I had the temperature set at 400 degrees). The chocolate melts and the marshmallows puff up quickly (a matter of minutes), so keep a close eye on them. When the marshmallows reach your desired shade of brown, pull them out of the oven. After removing from the oven you can transfer to your countertop to allow you more room to work. Insert a lollipop stick into each marshmallow and add the chocolate covered graham cracker.She goes on to say that if you don't have lollipop sticks only dip half the s'more into the melting chocolate (as pictured above.)

This could not possibly be any easier....or could it?

I heated my oven to 400° and busted out a couple of baking sheets.  Brad and I broke the graham crackers in half, placed them on the baking sheet and put one marshmallow on one half of the grahams and 9 little chocolates on each of the rest of the grahams.

Then I put the baking sheet in the oven and turned the light on so I could watch them, instead of trying to time them.

While the s'mores where in the oven I dumped the melting chocolates into my smallest pan and turned the burner underneath it, to low. So far, so good.


PINSTROSITY ACTIVATE


Once I pulled the s'mores from the oven I put the two halves (one chocolate, one marshmallow) together.  Marshmallow spewed from the sides of the graham, it seemed like there was more excess mallow than there was graham.  Brad cut the marshmallows for the next batch in half.                                
While Brad started on the next batch I checked the melting chocolates to see if it was ready for me to try dipping the overflowing s'mores.  Much to my surprise the chocolate hadn't thinned, instead it had actually thickened into a brownie type texture.  The instructions on the bag had no pointers on how to thin the chocolate so I took to Google.  I found a couple different ways to thin the chocolate and decided on the "add milk" method.  It sort of worked at first, but then the chocolate and milk started to separate and I ended up with a thick chocolate mixture surrounded by liquid (sorry I didn't think to take a picture to show you.)    I poured some of the liquid out and ended with, well I'm not really sure how to describe what I ended up with, it wasn't exactly dipping chocolate but it was usable for the most part.

By this time the second batch of s'mores, with the half sized marshmallows, were done and ready to be put together.  I put a chocolate half on top of a marshmallow half and again, the mallow started gushing from the sides, not as badly as the ones with the whole marshmallows but equally as annoying.



I tried dipping one of the s'mores into the melting chocolate but the excess marshmallow (and defective melting chocolate) made for less than optimal results.  As a last ditch effort I tried cutting the marshmallow from the edges of the s'mores before dipping them but to no avail.  I tried dipping about 8 of them before giving up completely.

Here were the results


After reviewing the pictures Brad doesn't seem to think they turned out that bad, but agreed the process itself was horrendous.

POSITIVES FROM MAKING DIPPED S'MORES:

  • I wasn't making these to take for a family/friend get together.
  • They were tasty
  • Brad and I actually preferred them without the dipping chocolate, of course then you're left with just a regular old s'more.
  • Brad and I got to do this together, which made the failure fun and laughable instead of miserable; and it made for a pretty cheap date.

No comments:

Post a Comment