April 2, 2013

Easter Treats

Happy Easter!


I hope everyone had a fantastic Easter this past Sunday and I hope the Easter Bunny was kind to you and your little ones.  I must be getting old because the Easter Bunny no longer brings me a basket or hides colored eggs, although someone gave me a great idea when she told me they hide and find bottles of beer!  Sign me up for that Easter Hunt.

My nieces and nephews had fun finding eggs at my parents.  My mom put on a wonderful family gathering again this holiday, as she usually does. We have a pretty big family so we do potluck style dinners on holidays although I'm not sure why, as my mom always buys and makes way more food than she needs too.  Regardless, we do potlucks and I've been getting pretty crafty with what I take. I'm really proud of the Race Car Bunnies I made for dessert this Easter.

Aren't they ADORABLE?!


They were really easy to make too and I'm going to show you how.



Here is everything you are going to need:
  • Small pretzel twists
  • Plain M&Ms
  • White frosting
  • Bunny Peeps
  • Twinkies (unfortunately there are no Twinkies right now, so I used Kroger knock-off Twinkies)
  • Marshmallows
 


Start by cutting a 2 inch space out of the "Twinkie,"  eat this part (yes you have to because good Twinkie shouldn't go to waste.)  Don't cut all the way through, you want it to still be attached at the bottom.  Also you should make this cut closer to one end of the Twinkie, the longer end will be the front of your race car.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Next you will stick (almost) everything together with frosting.  


 
 
 
 
For two wheels, cut a regular sized marshmallow in half (two marshmallows per car), I found the easiest way to do this was with scissors.  The scissors tend to get sticky, so you will need to wash them often. 
 
 
 


Okay, so I don't have any pictures of the next steps because I didn't find a good way to do it until halfway through making these.  I originally tried to "glue" the M&M hubcaps on the wheels with frosting like I did with all the other parts, but the M&M's kept falling off.  After failing with this technique I tried sticking the M&M's to the sticky side of the freshly cut marshmallow and found that it stuck amazing well on it's own.  After you cut the marshmallow just push the M&M onto the sticky side with some force, then frost the opposite side of the marshmallow and stick to the Twinkie.
 
 
 
 Tell me what you think!  Would you make these for your next Easter get together?

No comments:

Post a Comment